Monday, June 22, 2009

Dirty Little Secret

Yes, that's right. Feel free to sing the song. I have a confession to make though. My name is Proudmomma and I have an addiction to forums. Not just any forums though, horse forums. I guess it's a nasty side effect of equine-itis. It started out innocently enough. I put up a thoroughbred for sale on the internet and in the newspapers. She was the only horse I ever fell off of, but that wasn't why I sold her. I'll have to blog about her later. She's got a great story. (BTW, if you haven't figured it out by now, don't ever give me free reign writing. I'll bore you to death for hours!)


I put her up on a site called Horseville and in my no so trusty sales site savvy, I stumbled upon their forum. There were only a handfull of active posters and even fewer active posts, but I became intrigued immediately. It was my first look into the horse world outside of my little town and I LOVED it. LOVED. I don't have many peeps here, so I got to know some on that board. Made me feel spechul and stuff. After the first blow up drama thread, I was hooked. I had to check back every couple of minutes to see if anything new had been posted. I was.. well.. addicted! Then, it happened. Someone linked me to my very first blog (clarification: the first I've ever read): http://fuglyhorseoftheday.blogspot.com/


Back then, the Fugly blog was much different that it is now. It was solid posts on people being idiots and involving horses. It gave new meaning to the word snark and I loved it too. From there, I found my second absolute vice, the FiSH board (Free-Speech Horse forum) but it was called the Fugly forum when I found it. It was my new crack, a much more fast paced and snarky place to visit with hundreds of people posting all the time. I spent all my spare time there. Eventually, I got on 6 more forums and actively posted on all but one of them.


Now almost out of control, I had to put my foot down. I started visiting some only once a week or so. After I found a chat room, it made it easier to give up a few more boards, but I was spending most of my time chatting! I LOVE to chat. Live conversations with (what I hope are) warm bodies about whatever happens to be on the mind at the time. I don't get that at home so it was my little outlet. But once again, it started controlling my life. I HAD to know what was going on, who was chatting, what the topic was, etc. So, once again, the foot went down. I have now banished myself from all of them... or for a while at least!?

And yet, here I am... with my own blog. Kinda ironic huh. I have no dilusions that I am going to be the next J K Rowling though. Well, name any successful female author EVER and I'll make sure to take note of another person who will be more famous than me. In fact, I've only given one person a link to this blog. (hint hint!!) So, for the one person that might read this, stay tuned. I'll post interesting stories of all the horses we've owned and maybe even the epic chicken adventure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment